Monday, February 27, 2012

Human Computation Reflection

      I really enjoyed this video! It was very insightful and pretty funny. I think the idea of crowdsourcing is great. I have actually seen the "Life in A Day" movie that is made up of youtube posts. I thought that it was genius. It was a great movie and great way to get the shots to put it together.
      The speaker Luis Von Ahn's idea is very intriguing. I really enjoyed how he opened his presentation. He mentioned the captcha's that are so often used when creating accounts and how these are used to make sure one is human. This then lead him to point out the importance of human computation. I believe his creation of using a game to get people to do things is genius. I mean why pay someone when there are people willing to do it for free? A lot of times when people play games on the internet it is for pure enjoyment. So, on the contrary why not use people who are already going to play games for nothing anyway do something positive. I feel like people use the internet to rip people off all the time. People everywhere pirate music, movies, or can even steal someone's identity. So, when we look at an idea such as crowdsourcing why not use it. I have come to find out two things that people tend to do when they contribute knowingly to the internet. The first is that most people will submit things that they work hard on or want to show off. The other is it is going into something larger. When people play Dr. Ahn's game they are not just winning the fake points they see but essentially, they are helping the internet!
       I think overall the positives out way the negatives. Yes, there will be people who cheat or submit crap but that is true when any type of experiment or survey is done. I think that using the people who use the internet is the best way to build it up. I am curious now and want to find these his games and play them!

No comments:

Post a Comment