Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wikimedia

I reviewed wikisource which is a free library. It has thousands of texts in full copies for the use of anyone. I think that the idea of this is great especially for people like myself taking online classes. Since this is in it's beginnings there are a limited amount of text. There are many things that I have found so far that are very interesting. They have all kinds of journals, memoirs, notes, articles, books, even suicide notes and that is only the beginning. I think that this can become an excellent resource especially since this is not limited to one country (all kinds of cultures and people can contribute). It reminds me a lot of google text. The biggest difference is that some google text's are restricted until one pays and this source is free! I also got a pretty great laugh from the featured text "Shaving Made Easy".

I also reviewed wikiquote which is a page of quotes. There are so many different subcategories like: movies, people, tv shows, themes (education, history etc.), & categories. It seems to be a great source if you have an idea of a type of quote you are looking for. I think this is a great idea to have as a source. I know I am often looking for quotes to start my class off with, or to encourage my softball team and this would be a great use for that. As far as editing these myself I am not too sure. Often times just one word changes the whole thing and when people are quoted it should be exact. So, it may get a little interesting if anyone can edit them. Great idea though! They also have featured quotes and this is one from a while ago but still a good one "Life is too deep for words, so don't try to describe it, just live it." ~ C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment